A Wolf in the Chicken Coop

We have been feeding our neighbors goats and chickens this week while they have been out of town.  My kids love this job.  Ethan likes getting the eggs and Izzie wants to go feed them several times a day.  I don't know if it is because she wants to see the animals or if the neighbors toys are fun...Well, our neighbors left Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning we went to feed them and Ethan said, "Mom, this chicken is dead."  I looked up and sure enough.   I looked up past the coop and  saw these blue eyes looking back at me.  

My first thought was "Alex?"  I know, silly.  But this dog looked a lot like our pupper, only he was black and white.   Izzie was excited and even called him Alex.  Well, he killed 13 or 14 chickens, all but 3. Oh, the carnage in that coop.  There are not many things worse than having to pick up dead stuff.  I just felt so bad, for the chickens as well as for our neighbors.  Luckily enough, Animal Control just happened to be patrolling our circle.  So, she came and picked up the dog. Another traumatic thing for Izzie.  She started crying, almost hysterically when the lady put the dog on a leash to take him away.  She thought the lady was taking Alex.  So sad. 

Interestingly, if an animal kills another animal or even bites a person, they are not automatically put down, like I thought.  There has to be a civil judgement taken out against the owners of the "naughty" animal.  Hmmm.     

1 Response to "A Wolf in the Chicken Coop"

  1. Nurse Heidi Says:

    Oh nasty :P. Bet that was loads of fun to clean up.